June 28, 2007

Abdominal pains - Appendicectomy

Tags

Appendectomy is the surgical removal of the appendix, which is located in the right lower side of the abdomen. This operation is usually carried out on an emergency basis to treat appendicitis (inflamed appendix). This may occur as a result of an obstruction in part of the appendix. Some common symptoms of appendicitis are nausea, vomiting, constipation and pain. The pain is initially felt in the centre of the abdomen, and later moves to become a sharper pain in the right lower abdomen. The area is tender to the touch. Occasionally, some of these symptoms may be absent and it becomes necessary to investigate the abdominal cavity to make a diagnosis.

Problems associated with appendicitis
Appendicitis has no single cause, but may be due to:

A bowel adhesion
Swelling of the lymphatic tissue of the appendix due to a viral infection

A foreign body
A faecalith (a small, hard mass of faeces), which causes blockage, inflammation and infection.

If appendicitis is left untreated, it may result in rupture of the appendix. If the appendix ruptures, the infected contents flow into the abdominal cavity, causing a much more serious medical emergency - peritonitis. This is the inflammation of the membranes lining the abdominal wall and organs. Without prompt treatment, peritonitis can be life threatening.

Medical issues to consider
Once in hospital, the temperature, pulse, breathing pattern and blood pressure will be charted. If the surgeon suspects that your appendix shows signs that it may rupture, you will be taken to the operating theatre as soon as possible.

Operation procedure
The two main surgical techniques include open and laparoscopic appendectomy. In open appendectomy, an incision is made through the skin, the underlying tissue and the abdominal wall in order to access the appendix.

Laparoscopic appendectomy involves making three small incisions in the abdomen, through which particular instruments are inserted. A gas is gently pumped into the abdominal cavity to separate the abdominal wall from the organs. This makes it easier to examine the appendix and internal organs. (However, a laparoscopic appendectomy may need to become open surgery if the appendix has ruptured.)

Once the appendix is accessed by either open or laparoscopic surgery, the blood vessels that supply it are clamped and the appendix cut and removed. In laparoscopic appendectomy, the appendix is removed through one of the small 'keyhole' incisions.

Immediately after the operation
After the operation, you can expect:
Nurses will regularly record your temperature, blood pressure, pulse and respiration.

Nurses will observe your wound and level of pain, and give you painkillers as ordered by your doctor.

If there are no complications, you can get out of bed quite soon after the operation.

Early movement is desirable, but caution is needed for climbing stairs so as not to strain the abdominal muscles.

You should be able to eat about 24 hours or so after the operation.
You should be able to leave hospital two to three days after an uncomplicated appendectomy.

If you have external sutures (stitches), you usually have them removed after one week or so. Sometimes, surgeons use dissolvable sutures.

Medical treatment for peritonitis
If your appendix ruptures and you develop peritonitis, you will have antibiotics prescribed. Your surgeon will need to drain out the infected material and disinfect your abdominal cavity. A nasogastric tube may need to be inserted into your stomach for a day or two, and intravenous fluids will be administered into a vein in your arm. You can expect a longer hospital stay.

Possible complications
All surgery carries some degree of risk. One of the most common complications following appendectomy is infection. Around 20 per cent of people who have a ruptured appendix develop an abscess (ball of pus) within the abdominal cavity some two weeks or so after the appendectomy. These abscesses must be surgically drained. Another common type of infection following appendectomy is infection of the wound.

Taking care of yourself at home
Be guided by your doctor, but general suggestions include:

Follow the dietary advice you are given.
You may like to use a mild laxative for the first few days.
Drink plenty of water every day to help prevent constipation.
Make sure you have adequate rest. A fast lifestyle, with inadequate diet, will slow your recovery.

Avoid lifting heavy objects and stair climbing, so that you don't strain your abdominal muscles.

After a few days, slowly resume your normal activities. Include regular, gentle exercise.

Long term outlook
The appendix appears to be a redundant organ, since the human body manages quite well without it. There is no chance of ever experiencing appendicitis again, because the appendix is entirely removed.

Surgery is the preferred treatment for appendicitis. Delaying the operation (in the hope that the appendix will 'settle down') only increases the risk of suffering a ruptured appendix.


Things to remember
Appendectomy is the surgical removal of the appendix, which is usually found in the right lower side of the abdomen.

Appendectomy is usually carried out on an emergency basis to treat appendicitis (inflamed appendix).

A ruptured appendix can cause peritonitis, which is a potentially life threatening complication.

Adapted from: Better Health Channel

1 comments so far

Anonymous delete 4:19 AM

My ruptured appendix horror story

I was seeing an acupuncturist for about four weeks to treat a supposed small intestine / ileocecal valve issue (he established that). The ileocecal valve is located right next to the appendix. Tuesday before Thanksgiving 07 I saw him for a treatment and the very next day I suffered from a fever and pain in my abdomen. I initially thought it was a bad case of IBS and called his office to inquire. He suggested to take acidophilus and Vitamin C.

The pain never went away and I called his office again on Monday after Thanksgiving. He suggested I come in. I was in no shape to do this, but drove the 40 miles to his office anyway. He insisted it was a missing enzyme, tested me with biofeedback to establish which enzyme would be best for me and sent me on my way with the remedy. I had explained the location and severity of my pain. He simply shrugged it off. This is a man who has 35 years experience and claims to be the guru of acupuncture – Dr. Sunderlage of Elgin, IL. Yet, he was unable to pick up the usual symptoms of appendicitis. Where does that leave biofeedback and acupuncture? Sometimes we simply need a Doctor!

The pain got more and more excruciating. The next morning, I finally could not take it anymore. In the wee hours, my boyfriend took me to the ER at Chicago’s St. Joseph Hospital. I cried and moaned in agony, I needed assistance walking. I would have done anything for the pain to go away. The Doctor suspected an appendix problem right away. I was given some pain killers and prepped for a CT Scan. In my agony, I had to drink a big bottle of white liquid for them to see my abdomen on the scan. I hurried up drinking the liquid. I wanted to move on and get rid of whatever was bothering me. The pain grew more and more intense.

The CT scan confirmed a ruptured appendix. I was getting nervous but somehow felt relieved that we knew what the issue was. Within an hour I was in surgery. The anesthesist confirmed the surgeon had 25 years of experience and knew what he was doing. I begged the Doctor to put me out right away. I could not lie there much longer. Never in my life had I experienced pain like this.

A couple hours later I woke up in the recovery room. I was freezing and felt weird. After about an hour they put me in my room. Shortly thereafter, the surgeon paid me a visit and told me my appendix case was the worst in ten years. The appendix must have burst a couple days back and it was free-floating in my abdomen. It had also blown a hole into my colon which made stool leak all over my abdomen. A couple hours later and I would have been in ‘septic shock’ and all help would have been too late.

The surgeon just shock his head, wondering why I had waited for so long to come in. I explained the situation to him, mentioned the fact that I thought it was IBS and the acupuncturist story. He could not understand how I handled the pain for so long.

I expected to be out of the hospital within a few days, but the surgeon warned me I’d be there at least four or five days. I ended up staying for five days. Five days with lots of pain and discomfort. For three days I was given morphine for the pain. I suffered from fevers for two days. Fever as high as 103.5. Anti-nausea medicine, Morphine, Anti-biotics were given intravenously and Tylenol by mouth to lower the fever. The Morphine gave me psychedelic dreams and visions. I did not sleep on that stuff. Every time I closed my eyes, I was transported to another planet. It got kind of annoying after a while, but it surely helped the pain. A drain was also left in my abdomen, puss drained out for seven days.

The second day in the hospital, I called the acupuncturist (on Morphine) and informed him about what happened. He acted dumb, but admitted he should have picked up the typical symptamology for appendicitis. In the meantime I have written a letter to him, asking for a refund for his near-deadly treatment.

Only days after the surgery I realized how close I was to death. I am grateful and lucky to be alive. I ended up in a great hospital with wonderful care – thanks to my boyfriend who reacted quickly.

Now, two weeks after the surgery, I am still hobbling around, but getting stronger. Total recovery is six weeks. I can’t lift anything over 10 lbs, can’t work out. I am trying to gain the weight back that I lost in the days after surgery. My appetite is only slowly coming back. It is amazing what kind of grief a little appendix, a remnant from the past, can cause. Remember, sometimes a real Dr. is the only one who can help. Natural medicine is great, but it nearly killed me. If surgery is needed, only Western medicine can help.

If you ever suffer from a pain in the lower, right corner of your abdomen – go to the ER right away!